Tuesday 6 December 2022

Number 16 6.12.2022

 




Yesterday, besides the violent weather, someone cut the cables in our street and there is now no internet connection. Early morning everything was fine, up and working. I went to art class – the last for 2022 and had a good time there. Once again it was a show and tuition and I was certainly not disappointed.

That is the reason why I haven’t posted my write up yesterday. I was running around to get a place with internet services, found Woolies in Rivonia. I started surfing, and all of a sudden after a particularly violent thunder/lightning flash, we lost all connectivity.

Why on earth would he want to do that? Why cut the cables? That is a question that permeates our lives all the time? What motivates people to what they are doing? Destructive emotions – that is what drives people to commit to crime. Well, that is an extremely simple answer to a hugely complicated phenomenon.

Relax. For the moment. These cables were cut accidentally by tree-cutters. And insurance is looking into it. But it started me off on a nice story. 

I recall me prosecuting a young girl who was accused of shoplifting. She stole baby nappies and food for her child because she was battling to survive; the father just had a “good time” with her and pushed off when the baby was born. The evidence was against her; she was found guilty. The magistrate looked at me and asked: “Mr. Prosecutor, what shall the court do with her?” The easy and glib answer, that provided me with an escape route was: sentencing is in the hands of the court.

I did not take that easy route; that was a cop out. I have in numerous cases, before and subsequently, addressed the court on what I thought an appropriate sentence would have been. This time I told the court: “Now, that she was found guilty of theft, please be lenient on her and I suggest that she be warned and discharged.” The court took the advice seriously and then told her not to steal again but to approach the shop owner for a donation.




What motivates people [mostly young men] to do stunts like scaling the highest, tallest and most dangerous buildings and constructions in the world? Vitaliy
Raskalov and Mustang Wanted are some of the most famous of these daring young fellows. What kind of motivation does it take to do this?

Please tell me your thoughts: neelscoertse@wirelessza.co.za

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment