Wednesday 24 May 2023

WEEK 20 LIFE IS DIFFICULT; LIFE IS A FANTASY; LIFE IS A MYSTERY

Video taken of the Star Wars Millennium Falcon 
during load shedding in South Africa

The first three words in Dr. Scott Peck’s book THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED, are: “Life is difficult.” [My cursive]

Well, well, if you buy that story, then I think you are precluded from complaining even in the face of load shedding in South Africa; maybe from life threatening illness? Why is that? I submit to you that these words LIFE IS DIFFICULT takes out the sting; it takes out the “why me, Lord?”; it takes out the bite: because life is difficult. And complex. And a fantasy [not always resembling Tim Burton’s NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS]. A mystery: just have a look at your own life and ask what would have happened if you did not take the turns that you took? Well, that is maybe too far fetched a scenario. Let’s stay at the place where you and I are; let’s be acutely aware that we are alive and not dead [unless you stopped living before your actual death; you stopped laughing; stopped doing new and fresh things; stopped developing and stopped developing your mind; stopped being in awe of life; stopped looking at the symmetry in plants; stopped looking at stones and so if you stopped living you are in trouble.

No. I don’t want you to resemble my life or to do what I do or to think how I think. I hope you get the drift of my argument.


Video of me building the Star Wars Millennium Falcon

I overheard a snippet of a radio interview with this gentleman [listening to his voice, it is clear that he is not a youngster neither is he charismatic] who, very clear and calmly asserted that humans are created to be creative! And I echo that in this blog post: we are created to be creative! Stop complaining! Create something! Anything! Start sketching. Plant a plant and watch it growing. Cut open a tomato and marvel at the symmetry. Think that each and every pip is a potential plant with potential tomatoes.

My daughter and son-in-law gave me an incredible birthday present. They gave me a toy! Yes, at my age at 73, I got a toy as a birthday present. You watched my video I took last night during load shedding of this Star Wars Millennium Falcon. When Eskom allowed me to have electricity at 22:30 I went back to my dining room table and continued building. It was so quiet. It was so dark outside. And me sitting building this outrageous, preposterous and over the top “thing.” No, I am not a Star Wars fanatic. But that thing, the Millennium Falcon, caught my attention and I am in its grip; it is fascinating. The problem with this lot is when you are so deeply involved in building it, it is hard going to bed; you simply cannot “switch off” as it were. Eventually when sleep overpowers you, you go into a deep peaceful sleep.

The next four images show you the construction process going on.





T[G]o play! T[G]o be creative!

Maybe you are interested to built jigsaw puzzles; I am aware that you do get even 3d puzzles. Or you are besotted with cross-word puzzles. Reading is absolutely essential; without it you’ve had it, my friend. It is over with you! Keep on reading and keep on reading difficult literature; why do you want to keep on reading the easy stuff? No, go for the difficult stuff. I cringe when I visit and I don’t see books especially when it is academically trained people – no books any where to be seen? Maybe a magazine!

Keep on reading the latest developments in your primary training career. My career of choice, law, is not static. A guiding principle is that the law is not a chemical process neither is it mechanical; it is people driven. I am driven to keep up with developments in my career choice; at the moment I am rather deeply in researching international human migrations. It impacts heavily on the South African society and our people that are leaving these sunny shores, for other countries are impacting those countries. My country’s roots are deeply embedded in international migration: we are a diverse lot in the rainbow nation.

Migration does have its own peculiarities and its own synergies.

Back to basics: what are you doing with your time? Life is still difficult, not so? But life is even fantasy and most definitely mysterious.

Please write me your story: neelscoertse@wirelessza.co.za

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment