Monday 27 June 2016

ECSTATIC!!!

I want to deviate somewhat from the usual write-ups. Maybe I am a little bit nostalgic especially if you consider that I am not a rugby fan at all. Yet, digging deep into my memory bank, I remember the late Gerhard Viviers and his radio commentaries on boxing and rugby. 

Old Spiekeries!! 

That was his nickname. 

I mostly concentrated on his boxing commentaries, whereas my late father loved listening to Spiekeries' broadcasts when the Boks were taking on the world. 

During those years we even had a Jewish rugby player with the name of Syd Nomis who made it to the Springboks team. Gerhard got excited about this player - you can listen to Gerhard by clicking this link. I can still see Syddie grabbing the ball and off he went and that is without computers, TV or YouTube!! Please listen to this sound clip.


I give credit for this image I downloaded from the internet - thank you and I honour you as the source.

And then there is this soccer commentator from Iceland Gudmundur Benediktsson who also got excited about his soccer team. This is a must. This video clip of Gudmundur reminded me of Gerhard Viviers many many years ago. BBC Radio had a follow-up with Gudmundur and you can listen to it by clicking here. He doesn't know what he was saying - I really think that it does not matter what he said. I assure you that I don't know a word of Icelandic but looking at this video clip, I understand it perfectly well.

Why do I write about this event? Because technology is at our fingertips - it is so prevalent and it is mind-boggling. Gudmundur's broadcast happened far away and I was able to enjoy it. That is not the only reason why. 

Prof Willie Van Der Westhuizen recommended the other day to us attorneys to get Clem Sunter's book  THE FOX TRILOGY co-authored with Chantell Ilbury. Last nigh I got another book by Clem 21ST CENTURY MEGATRENDS PERSPECTIVES FROM A FOX. 

My wife and I had supper at a restaurant and I read her a short story from that book: The disappearing art of handwriting. He tells this story of him sitting on an aircraft busy writing something with his hand. A young lady watched him while she was writing/typing on her laptop. You see the difference? Him writing by hand; she typing. 

My wife wrote a letter to our son who practices as an attorney in Dubai and sent it to him when we sent his bicycles to him in Dubai. It touched my son's heart to the extent that he published it on his Instagram account. You can look at Moeks's letter by clicking here

Clem Sunter's story goes back to 1980's sitting with his mother's handwritten love letter to him. If I read Clem's story correctly, it seems as if Clem had that letter with him on the aircraft. Can you imagine what that letter did to this world renowned authority? Keeping his mom's handwritten letter with him on the aircraft - is he carrying this letter in his pocket since the 1980's? 

In essence Clem juxtaposed the old and the new. 

This is in essence my stories as well: juxtaposing two eras. And both are valid.

When last have you written a love letter by hand? I haven't for some years. The last I can remember was to my mom some years ago when I was waiting for my flight from Durban to Joeys. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment