Wednesday 15 May 2013

Go, visit a court and sit, listen and observe - any court.

Have you ever sat in a court to listen and to see what is going on there? If not, why not? Or do you do as so many others do? Watch the dramatic stuff on TV? I am not referring to movies – I am referring to real murder trials such as the one about the murder of Eugene Terre’blanché.

I strongly recommend that you should visit a court soon.
Just the other day a person said to me that he often wondered whether he would be allowed to go in and just sit and listen. It is open to the public – except when it is held in camera for instance when a minor is on trial.

My mom visited a court the first time in her life when I was a state prosecutor – well, that takes me back many years. She said to me when she came out: “Boet, dit is mos maar lawaaierig daarbinne.” She was so taken aback when people kept coming in and going out. Her concept of the procedures inside there changed drastically.
Just go, enter the courtroom and sit and observe. And then tell me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment